Sunday 21 August 2016

Christmas Card Club - Layers

It is my turn to host the Christmas Card Club this fortnight. I chose the theme of layers. I hope you will like my take on this. If you wish to pop by and see what the other ladies have created, you will see hyperlinks to their blogs on my right sidebar. If you wish to join our group, drop me an email.

My card is made from snippets and although it does not look like a lot of layers, it actually has 5.  Some of these are hidden and now I will explain how that was accomplished.

I started with a background made from snippets of 12x12 scrapbook paper. I then cut a red border strip from a snippet of red glitter paper, being careful to place a narrow 2way glue strip down the middle of the strip. I then punched 6 Martha Stewart snowflakes from a snippet of white glitter card and cut the top third off each one. I then placed a Zot glue dot on the back of each snowflake and tucked them under the red glitter strip. (Because I only used a narrow glue strip to affix the red strip, there was unglued room at each long edge to tuck the snowflakes under). Two went on the top left of the red border and four went under the border on the right side. A small clear diamond finished off this border.

In the bottom left of the card, I punched a larger Martha Stewart white snowflake and then layered the smaller MS snowflake, cut from red glitter card this time..


So far we have three layers for each of these areas of the card. I know you are thinking where is the 4th and 5th layers...they are hard to see as they are hidden!

The Noel has been cut from the same white Heidi Swapp Marquee card that was used for the snowflakes, but this time I backed it with SookWang two sided paper. I then cut four Noels and laid them down one on top of each other. The red glitter paper is quite thick and the white Marquee paper is quite thin. The four layers made the Noel stand out and not seem dwarfed by the red strip!

I added a couple of small diamonds on the N and on the L. One large diamond on the big snowflake and this card was done!

My original idea came from Pinterest and I just made my version of it. Here is the Pinterest version.


I am entering this card in the following challenges.
1. Christmas Card Club - layers
2. Pixies Crafty Workshop - must use snippets

24 comments:

Rainey's Craft Room said...

Thanks for a super theme Maureen. Your card is very striking and festive with it's beautiful glittery papers and snowflakes, love it.
Lorraine

Kathleen said...

Fabulous card Mo, love the gorgeous papers and the lovely snowflakes.
Funny today when your comment came through I was just starting to prepare my post for the RD challenge, how spooky I thought.

Kath x

Greta said...

I absolutely LOVE your version, Maureen! Gorgeous striped paper & love the tucked under snowflakes!

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

A really classic look for a Christmas card. Really pretty.

McCrafty's Cards said...

Wg=hat a gorgeous card Mo, I like your take on the pinned card
Kevin xx

Gibmiss said...

Hi Maureen
Fabulous cards... Love your Challenge... Thanks Maureen...
Hugs Sylvie x

MaryH said...

Apologies Maureen, for being late to get my layers card published. This was a nifty challenge, and I love your take on it. Nice to see the Pinterest card that inspired it. I love the way you've used the red glittered bordere with the snowflakes and that impressive Noel. Looks fantastic with the festive stripe background. Hugs & TFS

Gloria said...

So beautiful Christmas card! love it!

dutchess said...

Fabulous classy card MAUREEN....love those snowflakes peaking out and your big duel coloured one.....I thoroughly enjoyed making my cards for this challenge thank you for a great theme xxxxx

LesleyG said...

Love your festive creation, a super layout in my favorite colours. Xxx

Dr Sonia S V said...

The pattern paper looks beautiful with your snowflake and noel.
Have finished my project for the Rudolph Challenge DT post and will mail you today!
Once again Thank you so much for having me on as your DT!
Cheers
Dr Sonia

Valerija said...

Very beautiful Christmas card. Love the pattern paper and shiny snowflakes.
Valerija xx

Kath said...

A fabulous card - love the layers and the beautiful Christmassy colours.
Kath x

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

A fantastic card Maureen, I love your take on the Pinterest version.

Sue xx

Sandra H said...

Oooh Mo this is gorgeous x

Di said...

Beautiful card Mo - LOVE the design and those papers. Perfect! Almost ready here for Rudolph Day - then I decided some silver sequins might be a nice addition so am waiting on the postman to arrive!

Hugs

Little Miss Disorganised

xx

cuilliesocks said...

Hi Maureen, brilliant challenge, thanks for that I enjoy the theme.
Your card is fabulous, loving the bright colours and design, Kate x

Mrs A. said...

Loved reading how you achieved all the layers on this card. Thanks for a great theme. Hugs Mrs A.

cotnob said...

A super Christmas card Maureen, I love your striped papers and fabulous details.
Pauline
x

Carol L said...

You are the layering queen my friend! This is a real beauty with the diagonal stripes and glittered accents! NJ!

Jenny L said...

Hi Maureen,
I seemed to have missed this super design card.
I love all the wonderful layers, and all the very fab glitz.
I think I prefer your version as it's lovely withthat glittery diagonal paper, and the loely idea of the snowflakes peeking out of the center band.
Lots of carfty love. Jenny L.

Pia S said...

A fabulous case of the card you saw on the web. It's elegant, glittery and ultra Christmasy!

Pat said...

I think this is so pretty Maureeen with the oblique stripes in these pretty colour, and the red glitter band with the snowflakes tucked under is extremely pretty. A great idea to make the sentiment thicker by building it up with four layers. I love the added gems too. x

brenda said...

Smiles at your comment (thank you) MO, I gland it was you who mentioned the wine glass having a lot to answer for !!

Great card today.

B x