Friday 11 April 2014

With Deepest Sympathy - Card 1

Last week was my turn to chose the design, and make up the card kit for my weekly card making day with my next door neighbour. I have already shown you the cloud and butterfly card we made (featured on my last post).

I tried to pick a fairly easy card design for the second card.  I plan to make up several of this basic style, and needed them to be fairly fast to put together. Well, I guess sometimes they might be fast, but I had one of those days that everything I tried, seemed to backfire. The first card went together fairly quickly. This second one...not so much!

It seemed that I managed to screw up almost every element along the way. I would recoup, and tear off the offending item and start over. But I did it so many times it was starting to get annoying.

My neighbour went home with 5 lovely finished cards and I settled for barely finishing two!

Here is the one that gave me all the trouble...


I centered and then cut a Spellbinders  Floral Doily Motif from a piece of pink card stock and then cut a smaller S/B Petite Circle in the center of doily, to create a frame. All I can say here is thank goodness for a magnetic platform!

I then slid a lightweight snippet of black card behind the cut out aperture to allow the black to show through the outer edge picot pattern. I added a SB circle of DP script just slightly larger than the aperture and positioned it to sit just under that frame...and then pop dotted the frame on top...very teensy pop dots I might add!
This step was mostly repeated once I realized I had mounted the script on a slight angle...drat.

Once that was sorted, I added a K&Co pink butterfly and a Penny Black sentiment. I finished up the inside with another PB verse stamped on a repeat of the S/B Floral Doily Motif.  Two attempts later, I then managed to stamp that third attempt, slightly off center. Combed through the butterflies and managed to find one that had the right style to look as though I had "off stamped" on purpose.  I took out the middle layer of the the inside butterfly...making it 2D if you like! This just helped make the card "sit" better when closed. Luckily, the two butterflies are situated on different side of the card, so that helps keep the depth down....so it is better for mailing.


At this point everything was tossed aside and we had lunch...amazing what renewed vigor there is after a nice bit of salad and cheese bun...lol  Managed to finally finish it off and then added a bit of chalking to the edges to tie in the more vivid look of the butterfly! Yep...added the chalk to the finished card...with a carefully placed bit of scrap to catch the strays...luckily a white eraser caught any escapees!

Whew...my quick and easy card was finally finished...about 2 1/2 hours from start to finish!!!   lol

Recipe
Card base and Envelope - from my stash
DP - 7Gypsies Somme script paper (VOS circa 2005)
Card Stock - snippets of pink and white
Dies - Spellbinders Floral Doily Motif; and Spellbinders Petite Circles
Butterflies -  K&Co
Chalk - Stampin' Up
Stamps - both sentiments are from Penny Black Eloquence

****************This is card #1 of 50. I am on a consumables spending freeze until I have made 50 cards (Sook Wang tape and heavy weight card stock are exempt).***************


I am entering this card in the following challenges
1. Pixies Crafty Workshop - must use snippets
2. Chalk n Stock - must use chalk (I chalked the S/B Doily with pink chalk)
3. Card a Day Challenge - Sympathy
4. Word Art Wednesday - must have uplifting sentiment
5. Whimsy Stamps - Anything Goes
6. MFP Speedy TV Inspirational Challenge - Challenge 58 The third photo inspired me to use my vivid pink butterflies. The true colour is best seen on the inside page.

19 comments:

ILEANA ARTUFFO said...

Gorgeous card, very very elegant! I like how you used Spellbinders die and choice of colors!
Hugs Ileanaxxx

Di said...

Well, it might have taken some time Mo - but what a beautiful result! Of course I adore the pink, very clever use of dies and the pretty butterflies. But then you'd probably guess that anyhow :)

Hugs

Di xx

Christine Harrop said...

A beautiful card Maureen and well worth the extra effort involved. It's amazing how sometimes everything just falls into place - and other times everything just falls apart! Lol! Hugs Christine xx

Sassy Raggedy said...

Beautiful Mo inside and out. Hugs, joann

Sue said...

Wow this is gorgeous Mo! and don't you just hate days when everything you do seems to go wrong! but I love the colours you have chosen such a pretty design all of it...lots of huggles from us all Sue xxx

Kathy Bradley said...

Beautiful and elegant card and the colors are lovely! Thanks for joining us at SpeedyTV's Inspiration Challenge and hope to see you again soon!

jimlynn said...

Cute way to use the dies and a beautiful card! Love the colors you selected and of course the pretty butterflies. Love it!
Lynn

Carol L said...

Trouble?! Not a clue of trouble with this beauty! It turned out to be one gorgeous card!

cotnob said...

Your card is beautiful Maureen, such pretty pinks and very elegant, it was well worth all the time and effort you put in.
Pauline
x

Unknown said...

Your card is lovely. I like the
layout and the colors you used.
Thank you for joining us at MFP SpeedyTV Inspiration Challenge.

Greta said...

What a lovely sympathy card! You're so lucky to have a friend to craft with.

Pia S said...

This design and color scheme works so well for a sympathy card. I find it to be quite tricky to find the balance between not too cheerful and not too dark, and this soft pink teamed up with black and white just feels so right for this butterfly creation. It's lovely!

Tracy said...

I can't believe this beautiful card gave you so much trouble.
It is stunning.

Princess Judy Palmer said...

I'm sorry the card gave you such fits. Sometimes they are just unruly and refuse to behave. I came out very nice though. The design is fabulous and the butterflies are gorgeous.

wannabcre8tive said...

Wow, this is beautiful inside and out. I love the pink and black combo.

Sally H said...

Wow! What a stunning card, Mo! Sympathy cards are always difficult - this is perfect x

lorby said...

This card might have been a headache to make but it was so worth it. Very pretty. Thanks for joining us at Chalk N Stock - DT Jearise

nwilliams6 said...

Absolutely beautiful! Wow! I love the colors and the beautiful message. Love your card. Thanks for joining us in the MFPSpeedyTV Inspiration Challenge! Hugz!

Glenda Atkins said...

It's beautiful and conveys the feeling of the occasion. Never easy to do that, but this is just right!
hugs
Glenda